Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 2 - Decision Day

Sunday afternoon. The shelter is buzzing with volunteers cleaning the runs and washing bowls, feeding hungry barking dogs and making sure the laundry is finished. I was pleased to see my sign was still there on the door and he had slept on the blanket I provided the day prior. I brought in a new one and decided to settle in again. This time I brought a book. 
There was a little change in him, not much, but subtle. He seemed to calm a teeeeeeney tiney bit. Ok he was only a little farther away from his protective corner than he was the day before, but he turned his head and looked at me this time instead of only moving his eyes. 


My husband and I decided to nic-name him Eeyore because of the way he looked so sad and slouched over all the time. I loved Winnie the Pooh when I was young. I always seemed to take notice of how troubled poor old Eeyore was all the time. Aside from Pooh, Eeyore was my favorite.
Christopher Robin's Eeyore


 After 2 1/2 hours of sitting in one spot, on a thicker blanket this time, my bottom still hurt. I cant imagine what he was feeling. He still refused to move from that corner. I had tasty treats to give him and he wanted nothing to do with them, I even had a can of wet CAT FOOD.... still nothing. Sigh... Could this pup be helped??? I didn't know...

Until...


There! He felt comfortable enough (or exhausted) with me being around that he lay down and took a short nap. I was able to reach out and touch his tail without waking him. He still had his puppy fuzz. His adult coat hadn't even started to come in yet. This pup was very young, malnourished, covered in fleas and ticks, but wasn't so far gone that there was hope in him.

Then something else happened!!!


He stood up, glanced in my direction, Stretched those long legs of his and calmly walked to the outside run to say hello to his neighbor. He was still interested in me, and new I was still there inside, but I guess I wasn't so scary anymore. It was then I decided to suggest to Maverick Pet Transportation that this puppy can be saved and to ask if I may foster him.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Please bookmark Eeyore's blog and come back daily. He'll have something new and exciting to report.